Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Feedback on Minolta xl401 S8mm

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would like to have feedback on minolta xl401. Is it worth to shot with? Jerome

  2. #2
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not bad for an inexpensive model. The best thing about it is the intervolometer. Cheapest S8 cam to have one, I think. Macro is horrible, as I recall and it only shoots 18fps. Other than that it's strictly ok.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have two of 'em. Got them on E-Bay for $9.99 and $20.

    In a lot of respects it's a great little camera. It has a number of interesting features like the previously mentioned intervalometer and a self timer that I use here and there. It has an electronic remote socket that allows you to be very creative in how you choose to trigger the camera: any switch closure will do the job.

    Some gripes: Only one filming speed, and only two ASA settings on the Autoexposure (40 and 160). Also this is one of those cameras with an On/Off switch, and when you forget to turn it off, it's battery time.

    On a positive note, my wife and I traveled to Europe last summer, and I decided on the Minolta XL/401 as the camera I brought along. I wanted something small and light, and this was the best I had in this category. I was very pleased with the results.

    Ergonomically, it is very surprising, it has this wacky looking handle that folds out that looks utterly useless, but fits very nicely in the hand and the camera balances beautifully on top. (You feel like twirling it like a six-gun!)

    This is also a camera that earns it's living using only two AA cells, so there is no (formerly) mercury exposure cell to worry about, (Penalty, watch your battery condition closely, it falls off faster than a 4 cell camera.)

    By the way, these cameras are sensitive to lubrication. If it squeals it needs to go see a repair shop.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Foxfurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2000
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That was the first super 8 camera I ever bought, and still my favorite. If you're planning a big, professional film with synced sound and all that, it's not a good choice. But then, if I were going that far I'd shoot 16. It's got a big, bright viewfinder, which is a big plus. And it performs remarkably well in low light, even with kodachrome 40.
    I agree with all that it's a great travel camera. I've taken it numerous places with me. And you can't go wrong with time-lapse. I've shot some interesting sunsets with that camera. If I could get the footage captured to a digital medium, I'd share it....

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm...

    I've always wanted to try filming a sunrise or sunset using this camera, but figured you would just wind up massively overexposed.

    How do you do it?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Foxfurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2000
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just let the auto-exposure do it's thing. It's got a very good built in light meter. All the time-lapse I've shot to this point has come out pretty well.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting,

    I'll have to try this out.

    One commentary about Autoexposure is the thing seems to need two or 3 seconds to settle down to the correct f-stop after you turn the camera on. I've noticed on a couple of occasions that a shot of opportunity pops up and I very rapidly whip off the lens cap and start shooting I get an accidental fade from black once it's on the screen. If I have the camera on and the lens exposed: no troubles.

    You can actually see this if you watch the light meter, immediately after you turn the camera on. It swings way up and then settles down.

    Is this a gripe? Nah!, more of a quirk.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Foxfurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2000
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I have noticed the jump in the light meter, and the fade in if I start shooting quickly. It's actually worked to my advantage on occasion in that it creates a smooth fade in from black leader. (I still actually edit film manually [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    More of us do than admit it. When I was 17 (it was a very good year)I took my first ever paycheck from the local McDonald's and bought a Baia Editor/Viewer, and I still use it at age 40. (No boast, it's a piece of ****! Which I will replace someday)

    One little Minolta Flakiness is the meter being on the outside of the camera, with only the underexposure thingy showing inside the viewfinder. I'll admit it's never caused me grief, but it's a little unsettling. It's kind of like a car with the speedometer oustide on the roof and a light on the dashboard that flashes when you're going too slow. You have to wonder what happens if you're outside shooting 160 ASA in bright sunlight, does it let you know when there is too much light? (I don't know, I've only shot K-40 and Plus-X with mine.)

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Foxfurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2000
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I have to admit, the meter level is pretty poorly placed. I also have a Yashica Super 600, it has a meter level on the viewfinder, but the viewfinder is only about half the size.

    I've only shot on K-40 with the Minolta, so I couldn't say. I need to experiment with other stocks to see what they're like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •